The Start Up Grant („Gründungszuschuss“) is a financial aid from the Arbeitsagentur (employment office), which you can receive to start your own business in Germany. Entrepreneurs who receive unemployment benefits (ALG1) before going self-employed are entitled to apply for the Start Up Grant from the Agentur für Arbeit (“Gründungszuschuss der Agentur für Arbeit”). The Jobcenter offers support for new entrepreneurs through the „Einstiegsgeld“, which is available
to individuals who are receiving unemployment benefits ALG2 (also known as „Bürgergeld“) and who wish
to start their own business.
Both programs are not limited to German speakers. Whether you intend to be a freelancer (Freiberufler) or self-employed (selbstständig) in a trade type of activity (Gewerbe), you can still apply. It is also possible to apply if you are forming a partnership under certain circumstances.
- Duration: 6-18 months
- Monthly Amount: Your unemployment benefit (ALG1 / ALG2) + 300 EUR
- Up to 18,900 EUR in total – no need to be repaid
The following requirements needs to be fulfilled to apply for receiving the Start Up Grant:
- You must been registered as unemployed
- Your planned self-employment must be carried out as a full-time job (at least 15 hours/week)
- Your planned business must be registered in Germany
- You must provide a business plan in German (we will cover that for you)
- No application for each program within the last 24 months
Getting started with our coaching program is easy. Here are the steps you need to follow:
Step 1: Make an appointment with your employment advisor at the local Jobcenter or Agentur für
Arbeit and tell them about your business idea and that you need some professional help from us
Step 2: Request an so called „AVGS voucher“ for 100 units, which will cover the cost of our
Step 3: Contact us as soon as you have received your voucher, and we will help you to schedule
your coaching sessions and get started on your business plan.